Powerless - A modern day Pinocchio
In this film a man builds a robot. Whilst he is asleep some strange beings power up his robot who mysteriously comes to life.
- Describe the opening scene. Can the children do it without directly mentioning the robot? e.g. describe the man snoring in messy workshop, giving clues that there is something there but not saying what. (Something not quite alive.)
- Complete a story board/story map to aid narrative writing.
- Create a mood map
- Build up tension in story writing - as the man follows the robot through the woods - mirror the music. (rich description)
- Many many opportunities for descriptive writing.
- Write a dialogue between the two fairies and between the man and the robot.
- Create own model robots to star in their own narratives and use to make own animations.
- Compare and contrast with Pinocchio story? Can children write another fairytale in futuristic style?